Tuesday 11 February 2014

Would you like to have a picnic?

Lately Little Lady no. 1 has taken to flinging her toys all over the floor (I should make sure I emphasize that she's doing it more than usual-I would not want to imply that there is such a thing as a tidy toddler...) Today she said to me:

"Mummy, would you like to have a picnic?"

"Yes please!" I replied with as much enthusiasm as I could muster before the second cup of tea "but I want you to tidy away your mini books first to make space" (26 tiny books-1 for every letter of the alphabet)

After a short pause for thought:

"There's space in the kitchen Mummy!"

I love her solution! Don't tidy, just find somewhere there isn't yet mess. Thanks...

I've just come downstairs after putting both ladies to bed (it took me a while to locate Little Lady no.2 she's always awash in a sea of plastic, I have to be careful not to stand on her!) to be faced with the remnants of a"sleepover" -the prospect of which was met with as much enthusiasm as the picnic- cushions all over the floor, blankets, muslins posing as blankets, innumerable mega blokks, pieces of toy pasta (why did I think that was a good idea!?)

And during mine and my husband's half hearted attempts to restore some sense of order to our home (on our 8th wedding anniversary no less!) I am reminded that no amount of funky ikea storage will ever make it look like busy, playful and excitable kids don't live here.

I am reminded that this is the carnage some people would literally give their left arm to have.

I am reminded that I am so blessed to spend time with these tiny, creative, life affirming, amazing albeit carnage making children.

I am reminded that I am walking on holy ground. The holy ground of raising the next generation to proclaim the Lord's faithfulness amongst the chaos.  Crumb coated, yesterday's sock covered holy ground.

And I am clinging to my hope that mess, most probably, is a by-product of love.

Please enjoy the post-carnage clear up job!

No comments:

Post a Comment