Friday 20 July 2012

Befriending Faithfulness


“Trust in the Lord, and do good: 
dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.” 

Psalm 37:3

I came across this verse recently and I was really struck by the beautiful phrase “befriend faithfulness”.  I wasn’t exactly sure what the verse meant at first all I know is that it created in me a warm fuzzy feeling which suggested that it was a very positive thing.

Firstly I thought about what a lovely virtue “faithfulness” is to befriend. 

Secondly I thought about how I was being told to befriend it.  Befriending is a verb and I am being asked to do something!  The good old free online dictionary told me that to befriend means “to behave as a friend, to assist and to favour.”  This then made me rethink about what it was I was being told to befriend.  It’s actually a bit hard to befriend a character trait or virtue, faithfulness seems like it’s something you either have or you don’t, not something you can be friends with or assist or favour...

Then I came across this nugget in an internet search:

Befriending faithfulness is as simple as befriending Jesus.
He is the epitome of faithfulness.
 
In my head the penny dropped and I marvelled at how Jesus is in every verse and he speaks through every part of the Bible.  If faithfulness is a person rather than a vague ideal it becomes much easier to befriend.  It’s easier to understand what I am supposed to do:

  1. To act like I am a friend of Jesus (because I am!) and remember that he calls me friend. 
  2. Assist him in his mission to make his name and deeds known among the nations, my friends and my family. 
  3. To favour him, to love, worship and serve him more than anything else and before anyone else.

It’s such a beautiful verse and it really fills me with enthusiasm.  My heart literally responds with joy.  I feel refreshed as I think about my continuing journey as a Christian.  And I look forward to getting up tomorrow and thinking about how I am going to further befriend Jesus who is faithful and true.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely blog, thanks for sharing :)

    After reading the first half I had a slightly different interpretation, I was wondering what you think of it: your definition of befriend being 'to behave as a friend, to assist and to favour' made me think of befriending faithfulness in others, meaning to encourage and favour others' faithfulness, therefore growing in faith together. Perhaps it's easier to befriend a character trait or virtue in others?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Clare, thanks for reading the blog :)
    I think for me in the context of the passage this verse speaks of befriending Jesus. However I think you're right. How we grow together in our faith and encourage one another is also 'befriending faithfulness'. Your interpretation certainly lends itself better to befriending faithfulness the character trait!

    ReplyDelete