Friday 14 June 2013

Freedom Las Vegas

For ages (because I didn't really listen to the song) I thought it said "freedom Las Vegas".  Alas now I know better and I always feel a bit silly for thinking it said "freedom".  But despite feeling silly it's the ditty I sometimes sing in my head when I am pleased about completing or finishing something.

It's the ditty I sung to myself today as I finally left my place of work for the very last time as an employee! 


Hooray! I made it through!  I came so close to quitting so many times because I know now that I want to be a "full time, stay at home Mum" (take as much or as little offence as you like at the phrases) and having to go to work again and again was literally agonizing.  Tears have been shed, husband yelled at, cat sworn at, lovely little lady ignored because I was consumed by having to go to work when I wanted more than anything to be at home....

But God gave me strength and perseverance and got me through my severe "please don't make me go syndrome". He gave me a lovely place to work, kind people to work with and a generous and understanding manager. So admittedly, despite being happy to leave to be a "full time, stay at home Mum", I have had a little cry or four over the past couple of days because actually I'm really sad to leave.  I'm sad because I've made some wonderful friends, met some amazing people, heard some brilliant stories and been really privileged to look after so many people and I'll never get to walk the work corridors in the same way again.  

But this I know. That God gives grace for all situations. He doesn't promise easy rides but he promises sufficient grace in all areas of our lives.  He gave me plenty of grace to help me get through these last few months at work even though my heart was and is firmly fixed on my home and family. And no doubt when things are hard as a "full time, stay at home Mum" and I'm partly wishing I was back at work, I trust he will prove himself faithful all over again and provide me with more grace.  Grace is like the manna God provided for the Israelites in the desert. God provides just the right amount for each day, all I have to do is pay attention and go collect it wherever I am, whatever I'm doing.  I'm not going to be collecting it, living by it at my care home anymore but as a "full time, stay at home Mum". 

Same grace. Different place.


No comments:

Post a Comment