Tuesday 9 October 2012

Simon says...sort of!

Recently the little lady has taken to copying Mummy.  She likes to brush her hair and hold the hair drier just like Mummy, she likes to drink tea out of Mummy’s cup (yes of course my child had to be an early tea lover whether she wanted to or not!), she likes to sit on the grown up toilet, wipe with a piece of toilet tissue  and press the flush, she tries to put on Mummy’s watch…admittedly around her neck but I think she gets the general idea.


I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS PICTURE...WHAT AN EPIC FIND!

A couple of mornings ago she saw me cleansing and toning my face with nivea cream and cotton wool and she would not be placated until she had her own piece of cotton wool, with which she proceeded to scrub her face!  All of a sudden I really comprehended the overwhelming responsibility to be genuinely Christ-like around her.  Of course, I am called to be like Christ all the time, but I've never had another person so excited about copying my every move!

The baby lady is going to learn behavioral patterns, values and world views from me…and she’s going to imitate them, consciously and not so consciously…all the more reason to strive to be like Jesus and to live a life full of grace!  Not only does my faith affect me and my relationship with God but it’s going to have a massive impact on what the lady thinks about God and how she chooses to respond to him.

Ephesians 5:1 Says “be imitators of Christ”.  I’m now beginning to feel that my quiet times are ever more important!  How can I be like Christ and show him to the lady if I don’t get to know him or spend time with him? I know I need to be reading my bible and deepening my relationship with him through prayer and worship more than ever.  Put VERY simply being a good imitator of Jesus is like playing Simon says with God…God says “love your neighbour”, God says “pray for your enemies” etc! I must listen very carefully and show the lady what to do and how to do it. (there are several pit falls in the illustration but you have to admit it’s quite humorous)

I have been thinking over the word “burden” in my head as I've been writing this.  I know that being Christ-like and being a good witness and example to the little lady should not be a burden…I think I feel that way because being me (which always means being sinful) is just easier...

… I've literally just looked up the word ‘burden’ in Mr. Thesaurus and the word ‘yoke’ has come up as a synonym…which brought to mind this verse:

“my yoke is easy and my burden is light” Matthew 11:30

Why should being an imitator of Christ be easy compared to the alternative of just being me?

Because following Jesus offers me ultimate and eternal rest (vs 28- eternal rest was also the topic of our sermon on Sunday…hmmmm). Hard work now, yeah, maybe, but I can rest later…right now I need to work hard and focus on being the best imitator of Jesus, for his name’s sake, for my sake and for the lady’s.

Being me and being sinful is easier but it will never lead me or the lady into that eternal rest.  




2 comments:

  1. That's really got my thinking - thanks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad. I've just re-read my post and it's got me thinking again too! Thanks for stopping by-it's nice to know people are reading :)

    ReplyDelete