Wednesday 31 October 2012

Mummy's little pumpkin!


I have a confession to make.

I love Halloween!

I have always loved Halloween.  When I was little my mum surprised me one year with a trip to the American Airbase near our home.  She’d bought a plain black witches hat and decorated it herself with “Witch” written in gold glitter glue and a plethora of stars.  It was the best night and it’s one of my fondest childhood memories.  People stood at their doors with bowls full of ‘candy’ and we could just walk right up and take handfuls!  Houses were dressed to the nines with spiders webs, gravestones and skeletons which turned out to be people in costumes waiting to scare trick or treaters. 

When I became a Christian I was automatically lead to assume that Christians don’t celebrate Halloween.  Several Christians I knew would basically turn all the lights out and pray for the morning!  When I was a student we went on prayer walks praying against Halloween and I remember telling my non-christian friends that I wouldn't celebrate Halloween because it was a celebration of evil. 

But I always felt a little bit sad and what’s worse is that I always felt a bit guilty for feeling sad that I couldn't celebrate it.

Then last year after 6 years of not celebrating Halloween I read an article called “Why God loves Halloween”.  It blew my mind and I was so excited because I felt free and easy for the first time about celebrating Halloween.  I have since become even more convinced that Halloween is not a celebration of evil (although I guess some make it into that) but at its roots is a Christian Festival and a great opportunity to celebrate the ultimate and eternal victory Jesus has over evil by his life, death and resurrection.

Please follow this link to read the article for yourself, as I could never explain it so well.


After reading it I concluded that the little lady and I are free to have fun and dress up, poking fun at evil and demonstrating in our boldness our firm belief that the devil and evil have no power anymore because of Christ!

So here we are:
Look what I did...
I'm more interested in eating the crayons quite frankly

Can I have some Mum?

Two sparkly witches...that's my original hat by the way
it's now  16 years old!

Hurry up I can't wait all night


Of course some Christians choose not to celebrate it and that's fine, we are all free in Christ and Romans 14 tells us that we must each make up our own minds according to our conscience.  But as for me and my family we're gonna dec the halls with pumpkins literally till kingdom come!  This year we gave out balloons and sweets and little leaflets all about how Jesus is King over darkness and the victor over evil.  I'm glad I chose to open the door because I gave out 35 leaflets, 48 balloons and many many sweets to around 75 trick or treaters.  All I've got to do now is pray that the leaflets get read...

...oh and try to to eat all the left overs!




No comments:

Post a Comment