Tuesday 15 January 2013

A Tiny Talker at heart...


So I started a new kiddy class today.  The Little Lady and I have hung up the Tiny Talk hat and have put on the Tumble Tots t-shirt…quite literally you get your own t-shirt…well the Lady does anyway. 


Good Bye Tiny Talk classes :(



I was feeling fine about the change at the end of last term.  We had our final class, handed over a thank you card to the lovely Claire whose class we've been going to since April and said our good byes.  But today as I went to a different class I realised I’m actually really sad about leaving Tiny Talk behind. We have absolutely loved Tiny Talk!  It’s been brilliant to learn the sign language and all the songs and I’ll never forget when the Lady did her first sign.  


At the end of last term she got her final certificate to say she was using 45 plus signs by 17 months and that she was an extra-ordinary communicator!  And I really think she is.  We have conversations about what we see when we’re out for a walk, she tells me she can see buses, Lorries and dogs.  She can put two signs together now, she does the sign for “where” and then “Daddy?”.  She asks where Daddy is all the time (even if he’s just gone upstairs)!  It’s SO cute.


The signing is helping us get used to the idea of potty training as the Lady can tell us that she’s doing a little something special for us in her nappy… now we just need to get her to do it on the potty! But the point is she knows what she’s doing, she signs for potty and  she signs for wipes…even though it’s occasionally on the late side. She understands so much of her world and  it’s all because of Tiny Talk.

I was really grateful the other day when I hadn't noticed the oven clock alarm sounding to tell me my cakes were ready and the Little Lady waddled over to me and signed “I hear a noise!” and so off I went to rescue our cakes. What a star!

Although last week it made me a little bit sad as her nursery worker told me she signs for Mummy a lot when she’s at nursery and the old mother’s guilt crept in…


Hello Tumble Tots!
But today we braved it to Tumble Tots. And we had a great time.  The Lady soon got the hang of the circuits and was crawling through tunnels, doing forward rolls, sliding down slides and jumping on mini-trampolines.  At the end of the session there’s a challenge on one of the apparatus and if you complete it you get a star stamp on your hand.  The Little Lady completed it three times and got three stamps!



And after each stamp she looked at the instructor and signed 
“thank you”. 

We may not have been at Tiny Talk today… 

but we were there in spirit!

15 comments:

  1. How lovely. Really enjoyed reading that. Good luck at tumble tots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I thin we're really going to enjoy tumble tots and claire can keep hold of her props and toys without the little lady stealing them away every session!

      Delete
  2. this is what makes being a TinyTalk Techer so fab. hearing the stories. I am going to tell all my TinyTalkers about this. Well done to the Lady and mum for embracing the benefits snd reaping the rewards and to Claire the TinyTalk teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks we think it's absolutely brilliant! my husband was skeptical at first but when her first sign was Daddy he was hooked. I hope we inspire some future tiny talkers with our story :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog. We are in our second term of TT with Claire, shame we missed out on meeting you and your lovely daughter. God Bless. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks. Is your daughter signing yet? I had to wait ages for my little lady to do her first sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She signed more and milk in the first week or so of last term, and nothing since!!! She enjoys the classes though and all the songs, so hopefully soon we'll get a few more signs coming :)

      Delete
    2. that's great, the Little Lady did the same thing signed Daddy and then had a break and then whoosh signs everywhere! She's just learnt two new ones today! I'm sure you'll see some more soon :)

      Delete
  6. What a fantastic blog and a lovely piece. Thank you both for joining me on the TinyTalk adventure. Being a TinyTalk teacher is just precious and an honour to be able to spend so much time with parents / carers and their little ones. You and the Little Lady are missed and as with all of my TinyTalkers, past, present and current, will always hold a place in my heart and thoughts. The Little Lady is a real signing superstar and it makes me very proud to think how I was able to play a (albeit small - the hard work is really down to you) part in enabling her to atleast tell you your cakes were burning! Phew! Baby signing saves the day again :) Have lots of tumble fun and all the very best to you all for a fabulous future. Love and best wishes Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks Claire, Tiny Talk will definitely be very special to us. You played a huge part in our journey with all your enthusiasm, patience and encouragement so thank you very much! and thanks for enabling operation "don't burn the cakes!". You should print some t-shirts with baby-signing saves the day again...I'd definitely buy one. Love to you x x x

      Delete
  7. As a fellow teacher, this was lovely to read :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am a TinyTalk teacher and it gives me warm glow to know that people love our classes so much xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really have loved tiny talk and I'm glad this blog has touched so many other tiny talkers and teachers alike x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely blog! I thoroughly LOVED learning to sign with my daughter and now teach it to a fantastic group of TT mummy's, daddy's and granny's. And Mya's daddy was sceptical at first too - right up until she started signing then I got kicked out of the room to leave them to special daddy-daughter bonding time! The signing will stay with you for a long time and I am sure you and little one will still have fun with in years to come! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope we'll be signing for many years to come especially as number two is on the way now...the next baby has no choice as I will be signing from birth!

    ReplyDelete