Tuesday 10 July 2012

Daddy !


When the lovely one was six months old I took her to a Tiny Talk baby sign language course.  Six months later and there’s no sign of a sign at all.  But all of a sudden in Sainsbury’s car park as I explained in sign to the lovely little one that we were going home to see Daddy she looked at me very intently and signed Daddy back to me!  I was so proud of her and overjoyed that she had understood me and decided to communicate with me that a torrent of coo-es and non-sense praise came flowing out of my mouth all the way home.

It was such a simple moment and it brought me such a great sense of achievement that all my effort to learn the signs and take her weekly to the class had been rewarded.  But what it really made me think about was how much greater God’s joy must be when one of his children decides to communicate with him.  And on the flip side how much it must grieve him when we his children, whom he so lovingly made, turn our backs on him and deny him his right as our Father. 
Being a Mummy has taught me a lot about what it looks like to be a daughter to God and how to respond to him as my parent. Relationships are full of joy and tiny moments that make all the hard work really worthwhile and the more time I spend with the lady the more I learn about her nuances and how to communicate with her (and of course our Tiny Talk classes are guiding us further!). It’s just the same with God- the more time I spend with him in the Bible and in prayer the more I know him and the more worthwhile and rewarding being in a relationship with him is.  I also look at everything the lady and I do and just try to enlarge it and realise it on a scale where everything that God does is way better and bigger and more perfect than anything I do.  Because of my own experiences as a parent I know how privileged I am to have God as my heavenly Father, I am overwhelmed that the God who made the universe is bothered about me and wants to know me and I am grateful that he has blessed me with a little one to show me that he loves me more than I could ever have imagined.
And I often wonder how God felt  when I said "Daddy" for the first time...

No comments:

Post a Comment