Saturday 25 February 2012

Some real treasure...


Look at the wildflowers. They never primp or shop, but have you ever seen colour and design quite like it...


My bible reading notes recently have been talking about the importance of simplicity and I have been challenged to do a little clearing out!  There is a whole pile of recycling on the spare bed as we speak waiting to be shredded and made into toilet paper or whatever they’ll be making out of my old report cards and year ten history books.  But it’s not just clearing out old stuff that is no longer needed that I have been thinking about, I’ve been thinking about all the  “things” I have in my house; the piles of DVDs, books, CDs, clothes, games and picture frames… do I actually really need all these things?  

Jesus teaches us to store up “things” or as he describes them “treasures” in heaven and he gives two reasons: 

  1. We cannot take anything from here on earth with us when we die (Luke 12:13-21)and
  2. All the things we love and cherish here will eventually rot and disappear (Matthew 6:19-21).   

Two rather sobering statements! Especially as I am rather fond of my clothes…and my films…and my jewellery…and my photo albums…and my knitting wool… and my baking equipment…and so the list goes on.  But Jesus teaches that we must be seeking the kingdom of God above all other comforts and that true satisfaction in life is not found in the status and security that our possessions give us but in a relationship with him! How am I to teach my little one to live for him alone if I am an avid hoarder of “things”, how can I teach her to value simplicity when she herself is already surrounded by her own little pile of “things”!?

This Christmas there was a large pool of presents around our Christmas tree and then the in-laws turned up with a whole lot more to add to the wrapping paper carnage!  I would estimate over half the presents under the tree were for our baby girl.  Now of course presents are a blessing and an expression of love and appreciation… but there were definitely more presents than were needed to tell her how much we love her and instead a lot of them served to help me feel like I’m keeping up with the Yummy Mummies.


We can’t take things with us when we die and everything we treasure here will eventually rot and disappear.  But more than that, I think what Jesus is getting at in the above passages is that if I’m living a simple life it demonstrates to my friends and family (and above all my baby girl!) that I believe my satisfaction in life cannot be found in this world and its treasures, but can only be provided by being in a relationship with Jesus.  On the other hand I don’t want to be a Scrooge and forget Jesus made everything, he’s the ultimate inventor and giver of good gifts!  He thought up DVD’s and toys, clothes and comfy furniture and gave them to me to enjoy.  The things I own are not inherently evil but the status and priority I give them in my heart is if I love them more than I love Jesus. 

Never fear though there’s always a handy bible passage for a spot of much needed encouragement.  

If you decide for God, living a life of God-worship, it follows that you don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds. 

Has anyone by fussing in front of the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? All this time and money wasted on fashion—do you think it makes that much difference? Instead of looking at the fashions, walk out into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They never primp or shop, but have you ever seen colour and design quite like it? The ten best-dressed men and women in the country look shabby alongside them. 

 If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting things, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.  
Matthew 6:25-33 The Message

I think before I do more clearing out I need to pray that God would remind me that he sees all my needs and provides for them, that a relationship with him is vastly more satisfying than possessions and that I have no need to worry about things that aren’t worth worrying about in the long run!

I think only then can I hope to teach my little girl what is really important; seeking to serve the kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment